Topic: Nurse practitioners in medium-sized centers

Home Forums OPAT Nurse practitioners in medium-sized centers

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Jim Hutchinson Jim Hutchinson 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim Hutchinson
    Jim Hutchinson
    Keymaster

Are nurse practitioners the best clinicians to provide the central role for medium-sized OPAT clinics? Oceanside is developing service that will include OPAT, Home IV support, wound care and other minor procedures with a nurse practitioner as the primary provider.

I believe that this may be the optimum arrangement providing that we find a way to delivery clinical pharmacy services and centralized (likely mostly remote) medical oversight.

Lyle Powell
    Lyle Powell
    Participant

<p>Great point Jim. One downside of the use of NPs that I have heard (although haven’t confirm myself honestly) is that I&D is out of their scope of practice which is troubling as for purulent/abscesses that this may be the only intervention that they need and we would end up using antibiotics when they are not needed. (~85% improve with I&D alone)
    This extended scope would be an essential piece to fix down the road.</p>

Richard Bachand
    Richard Bachand
    Participant

Yes I&D not within the scope of NP was brought up at the AMMI conference. Perhaps the college of Nurses could lobby for this to be added into their scope of practice through the HPA. Given the need for this procedure in situations where there are no qualified physicians, I suspect there would be support from the College of Physicians and Surgeons.

Jim Hutchinson
    Jim Hutchinson
    Keymaster

I agree that I&D should be added to Nurse Practitioner scope of practice. How can we start the lobby?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Related Content

Related Therapy Guidelines